20 October 2013

A beautiful Rosemary Beetle (Chrysolina americana)

Whilst delighted to find this jewel like beetle in my garden, I was less pleased when I discovered she will be eating my rosemary and lavender bushes.
Rosemary Beetle, photo M.Malcher


Nevertheless, I left the beetle in a corner of the garden and hope she will not have too large a family!
The Rosemary Beetle (Chrysolina americana) is a fairly new arrival from the continent first recorded at the Royal Horticultural Society's Garden in Wisley in 1994.  I live not far from Wisley, so perhaps this one came from there, if so, she is welcome to return whence she came.  The RHS have a useful advice page for gardeners about the Rosemary Beetle. Please heed their advice on pesticides for your own safety and do not use pesticides on flowering plants to avoid damage to bees. My view is that pesticides should be avoided.

Information from the RHS
See https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=555

Update : Alas, the Rosemary Beetles destroyed most of my lavenders. Now I pick them off when I spot them.